MFA, California Institute of the Arts, Valencia, CA.
BA, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA.
SELECTED SOLO EXHIBITIONS AND SCREENINGS
- Open 24 Hours, with Marte Eknæs, Munch Museum, Oslo, Norway
- Now Open Free Parking, with Marte Eknæs, What Pipeline, Detroit, MI
- Boom!, with Marte Eknæs, Rise Projects, London, UK.
- Sarau with Nicolau, Bronx Museum of the Arts, NY
- Clown’s Pocket, with Mark Flores, Commonwealth & Council, Los Angeles, CA.
- Janitoria, with Marte Eknæs, What Pipeline, Detroit, MI
- Useful Landscape, Agency Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, CA.
- The New World of Lina Bo Bardi – digital animation by Ouida Angelica Biddle, João Rosa and Nicolau Vergueiro;
individual screenings at Poetic Research Bureau, Los Angeles, CA and Storefront for Art and Architecture, New York, NY.
- Introducing Salomé, David Kordansky Gallery, Los Angeles, CA.
- Nicolau Vergueiro: Old Fashioned Fourth of July Celebration and Parade, Aspen Art Museum, Aspen, CO.
- By Way of the Seven Holes in My Head, Pasadena Museum of California Art, Pasadena, CA.
- To Burrow and Grow, Galerie Nathalie Obadia, Paris, France
- A Thousand Openings, David Kordansky Gallery, Los Angeles, CA.
- Objeto Sim Objeto Não, Golinko Kordansky Gallery, Los Angeles, CA.
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS, SCREENINGS AND PUBLIC WORKS
- Ready Made in Brasil, curated by Daniel Rangel, Centro Cultural FIESP, São Paulo, Brazil
- Midcentury Masters, Museum of Arts and Design, New York, NY
-Humidity In Our Breath, organized by Lisa Sitko. Mirasol, Los Angeles, CA.
- Hood By Air, Id, MoMA, NY
- Ex Nihilo, Eastside International, Los Angeles, CA
- Prep School, Torrance Art Museum, Torrance, CA
- Variations on Transparency, Sonce Alexander Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- Orgy at Månedens Bilde – public art piece with Marte Eknæs, Oslo, Norway
- Reproduction, What Pipeline, Detroit, MI
- Gretchen Parlato and Leonel Louke at Carnegie Hall. Commissioned video, with collaborator João Rosa. Carnegie Hall, New York, NY.
- There’s Joy in Repetition, Dias Futuros, curated by Violet Hopkins Los Angeles, CA
- The Planter Show, For Your Art, curated by Lisa Sitko, Los Angeles, CA
- Diamond Dust, See Line Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- Eslov Wide Shut, 100 Works by 40 American Artists, curated by Mallorca Landings, Blomsterberg’s Warehouse, Eslöv, Sweden.
- Quadruple-Consciousness, Curated by Malik Gaines, Vox Populi, Philadelphia, PA.
- Stranger Than Fiction, curated by Julie Joyce, Santa Barbara Museum of Art, Santa Barbara, CA
- Imaginary Thing, Aspen Art Museum, Aspen, CO.
- Rapture in Rupture, curated by Elizabeth Dunbar, Arthouse, Austin, TX.
- New Weave, siteLA, Los Angeles, CA.
- Sculptors' Drawings: Ideas, Studies, Sketches, Proposals, and More, Angles Gallery, Santa Monica, CA
- Picnic Apparitions, curated by Steven L. Anderson, Park Projects, Los Angeles, CA.
- Sonotube, Santa Barbara Contemporary Arts Forum, Santa Barbara, CA.
- California Biennial, Orange County Museum of Art, Newport Beach, CA.
- Cloudbreak, Hiromi Yoshii, organized by David Kordansky, Tokyo, Japan
- Nothing Up the Sleeve, Glendale College Art Gallery, Glendale, CA.
- Fast Forward: A Passion for the New, curated by scenic, House of Campari Presents, Los Angeles, CA.
- L.A., Lucas Schoormans Gallery, New York, NY.
- The February Show, 1103 La Brea Ave., Los Angeles, CA.
- Follow Me: A Fantasy, curated by Malik Gaines, Arena 1, Los Angeles, CA.
- Happy Days Are Here Again, David Zwirner Gallery, New York, NY.
- Upstream: Idea Drawings, Hayworth, Los Angeles, CA.
- California Earthquakes, Daniel Reich Gallery, New York, NY.
- New Balance Frontier, curated by Aimee Chang, The Soap Factory, Minneapolis, MN.
- Restless Looks, Schaufenster, Oslo, Norway
- Cave Canem, John Connelly Presents, New York, NY.
- Inaugural Exhibition, Golinko Kordansky Gallery, Los Angeles, CA.
- Out of the Ground Into the Sky, Out of the Sky Into the Ground, traveling show:
Pond Gallery, San Francisco and Black Dragon Society, Los Angeles, CA.
- Staking Grounds, Lime Gallery, CalArts, Los Angeles, CA.
- Messy Fingers, Track 16, Santa Monica, CA.
- 8th Salão da Bahia, Museu de Arte Moderna da Bahia, Savador, BA, Brazil
- Soup, New Wight Gallery, Los Angeles, CA.
- Los Angeles Municipal Juried Biannual, Barnsdall Art Park, Los Angeles, CA.
Opening Show, Black Dragon Society, Los Angeles, CA.
COLLABORATIVE AND CURATORIAL PROJECTS
New Picture - The Work of Bea Feitler, curated by Marte Eknæs and Nicolau Vergueiro, Between Bridges, Berlin
- Um Casamento, feature length documentary, as assistant director and co-writer;
directed by Mônica Simões.
- EXILO –
A year-long project, in an unique venue in downtown los angeles, founded by Nicolau Vergueiro,
Pilar Wiley and Marco Antonio Prado, exilo is a flexible arena to address the interdisciplinary
nature of art productions that exist outside, and in response to, the mainstreams of academia Institution and commerce.
Exilo selected exhibitions/projects: - Do Yes Disturb!, with AA Records - Alivia Zivich and Nate Young. -
The Introduction of Corporate Priestess, with Ina Celaya, Lisa Sitko Nicholas Amato;
he Shadow with Louis Gabriel. - Hot Fruits , with Michelle Brunnick (Chosé General), Justin Allen and Katrin Jurati.
- IMPRENTA -
A year-long series of programming and exhibition events that dealt with the question of Immigration,
its intersection with sexuality and how it is being addressed globally.
Founded by Michelle Dizon, Camillo Ontiveros, Nicolau Vergueiro and Wu Tsang.
Imprenta selected exhibitions/projects: What's On the Page, IMPRENTA, Los Angeles, CA
i Am a Citizen, What Is a Citizen?, IMPRENTA, Los Angeles, CA.
- Eu Sou Neguinha?- 20-year retrospective of Mônica Simões, Centro Cultural Correios, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil (as curator)
- Gravklev, Bente, Munch beveger seg, Dagsavisen, May 26th, 2016, p.24
- Edmonson, Tess, Elegantly Wasted, PIN-UP, Issue 19, Fall/Winter 2015/16, p. 77-78
- McCloud, Grace, Space invaders: Rise Projects Uses Colour and Creativity to Take Over Notting Hill. Wallpaper*, May 2015.
- Eknæs, Marte, Formal Economy, as collaborator, published text and images. Mousse Publishing.
- Pierre Alexandre de Looz, The Video: The New World of Lina Bo Bardi, V Magazine, August 2013
- Murphy, Daniel, Shop the Globe in your Robe, Wall Street Journal, September 28, 2012, page D8
- Weinraub, Leilah, Top Ten, Artforum, Summer 2011, p.146
- ed. Rattermeyer, Christian, The Judith Rothchild Foundation Contemporary Drawing Collection- Catalogue Raisonné, The Museum of Modern Art, New York , p. 273
- ed. Farkas, Solange, O Museu de Arte Moderna da Bahia, Banco Safra e Fundação Cultural Estado da Bahia, p.295, 2008
- Diaz, Karla, Nicolau Vergueiro, Beautiful Decay, Issue X, p. 26.
- Buckley, Annie, Nicolau Vergueiro, artforum.com, June 2008
- Cash, Stephanie, First Page, Art in America, April, 2007, p.35
- ed. Jacobson, Karen, 2006 California Biennial Orange County Museum of Art, pp. 156 – 159, 2006
- Segade, Alex, Nothing Up The Sleeve, Art US, October / November, p. 16 – 17
- Eleey, Peter, Looking Back: Looking Forward, Frieze, January - February, 2006, p.124
- Hunt, Jon, Where The Hell Are We?, City Pages, July 21, 2004
- Ruiz, Alma, Dossier Los Angeles, Carnet arte, Milan, No.2, April - May, 2004
- Hainley, Bruce, Nicolau Vergueiro, Artforum, March 2004, p.189
- Ollman, Leah, Youth is Served Melodramatically, Los Angeles Times, February 6, 2004, pp. E31-E33
- Worman, Alex, L.A. Confidential, Artnet.com, December 3, 2003
- Riberio, Marcos, O Prazer de Perceber (The Pleasure of Noticing), Jornal A Tarde, Salvador, BA. February 9, 2002
- ed. Reis, Heigor, 8th Salão da Bahia, Museu de Arte Moderna da Bahia, Fundação Cultural Estado da Bahia, pp. 66-67, 2002
RESIDENCIES AND AWARDS
- Pivô Pesquisa - Pivô Arte e Pesquisa, São Paulo, Brazil -residency
- OCA – Office of Contemporary Arts, Oslo, Norway - grant for collaborative projects with Berlin-based artist Marte Eknæs
- UCIRA - Visual Arts Practice and Research Award for year-long collaborative project IMPRENTA.
- Centro Cultural Correios, Salvador, BH, Brazil - Curatorial grant for exhibition Eu Sou Neguinha?
- La Cité Internationale des Arts, Paris, France – One-year residency
- Highest prize at the 8th Salão da Bahia, MAM - Museu de Arte Moderna Salvador, BA, Brazil
- Levinson Award